Monday, August 9, 2010

2 Months Later

Here we are 2 months later and it is amazing all the changes that have happened in our lives! It is absolutely amazing how much time babies take up in your day! So let's get into the story of how it all happened.
June 3rd: Her due date. So I was having a hard day just because I didn't like the fact that it was Penelope's due date and she seemed to be enjoying herself up in my belly. I was tired and uncomfortable. So when my sweet husband came home he promised to take me on a walk after dinner. So we went for a walk and started to talk. He told me how our lives were going to change forever and that it will never be just the two of us ever. So how even though we are anxious for this little one to come, we should relish the time we have to do whatever we want because we still could. It was a really cute talk and we walked for a good 2 miles and sat on our front porch for about an hour just talking. It was so wonderful, needless to say, I went to bed a lot happier then when I woke up in the morning.
June 4th: It was 6:20 AM and I woke up to go to the bathroom, any pregnant woman knows that she make SEVERAL trips a night, but this night I hadn't gone all night so I was bursting. I walked to the bathroom and after I pulled my pants up I "peed" again, a LOT... now that wasn't right... I just emptied my bladder... Then it dawned on me! My water just broke! Now my poor husband, it has always been early in the morning that he has found out anything important... like 6 AM when I was too anxious anymore to wait to take the pregnancy test and woke him up with the news... this was no exception. I walked back into our bedroom with a big smile on my face and gently woke up my husband with the news. He immediately jumped out of bed, asked if I was okay and proceeded to scramble things together. I had to laugh because we had everything already put together in a bag for this very reason, so he decided to jump in the shower and I decided to go and make some breakfast. As I did, I called my mom and dad, and all the siblings just so they were in the loop. After a nice breakfast Rob and I went to American Fork Hospital. Because my water had broke I had to go to the hospital right away because of a little thing called Strep B, which I had, that could possibly give Penny pneumonia on her way out if I didn't get the antibiotics I needed. So we showed up to AFH at 9 AM, mom was waiting out in the parking lot and we went to check in. They took me to a room to check that my water had really broken, because a sudden gush of water wasn't enough right? Well funny thing is, the little test strip that changes colors when it is your amniotic fluid wasn't changing colors, even after 3 strips! The nurse said that I might have just had mucus come out...yeah right. I told her no, that was silly because well I'm still leaking, every time I move. She decided to then leave the room and come back to see how much I "pooled". She came back after 5 mins and was amazed how much liquid there was. (see, I wasn't kidding when I said my water broke).
So I got sent to the Labor and Delivery ward and got a nice big room.
So now we waited...and waited...and waited. Did I say that I walked a new path in the floors of that hospital, since I wasn't in labor yet and didn't have contractions, I walked...and walked...and walked. Well the nurse told me that I had to deliver within 24 hrs or the baby would be at risk of infection (big sack of baloney) but hospital rules are rules. What made me angry is that she kept checking me every 30 mins and would then proceed to ask if I wanted Pitocin yet. NO! I wanted to do this natural and I was super annoyed with her and she was annoyed with me. She kept saying how extremely full they were and how I hadn't dilated past 1 1/2 yet. I wasn't in Labor silly! So the hours went by and eventually the evil nurse made me cry and made my husband extremely upset. She just started to get snotty about me not dilating and how it had been her whole shift with no change. So finally at 7 PM that night I gave in and got Pitocin. My doctor had been in and said that if I don't deliver within 24 hrs it would be a C-Section delivery. That scarred me more then anything. So I got it.
Now I was getting bugged about getting an epidural... well the contractions weren't too bad yet so I postponed it thinking I would be strong enough without it. Well for those of you who don't know, Pitocin is said to make contractions 70% worse then they normally are, because it is forcing your body to contract. By 9 I was having contractions about every 30 seconds and wasn't dilating. I was in tears because I was so exhausted from the attack of contractions that by 10 PM Rob went and got the anesthesiologist. Rob told me that he was the one making the decision of getting the epidural because he could not see me in that kind of pain anymore. I am so glad he did because I was so exhausted and in so much pain I just wanted to sleep, not to mention, I had been walking all day. By 10:30 the epidural had kicked in, and what a blessing!
I was smiling and laughing again! So I went to sleep, and slept and slept. The nurses came and checked me regularly and by 11:30 I was at 4 cm and then by 1 AM I was 9 CM and by 1:30 AM I was 10 cm and could start practice pushing. They called Dr. Young and I started to push! 40 mins later at 2:15 AM our beautiful little Penelope was born.
Weighing 6.15 lbs and 19 1/2" long. Because she had come out so fast, she wasn't able to get all the fluid out of her lungs and so they took her away pretty quick after letting her lay on me and cuddle with me. I sent Rob to be with her because I didn't want to be alone without one of us, and that way one of us knows what is going on.
After 1 1/2 hours I was really anxious, I really needed my baby and I hadn't seen her back yet. So they rolled me down to the nursery and let me see her, Rob was there by her side. I kissed her and was rolled up to our room, which was not in the maternity ward, because they were so full. We got put into the pediatrics unit and had the smallest room imaginable. After 2 hours they finally brought her up to me and I was able to feed her. Let me just tell you how amazing it is to hold a brand new baby in your arms and have just this overwhelming feeling of love wash over you. I get the chills just thinking about it!

So that's Penelope's story of entering the world. Now it has been 2 months, of happiness, stress, laughter and tears, and I couldn't be happier. It is amazing how much changes and how much you learn. I was so worried about her not eating enough and then about how she would cry sometimes to the point of making her voice hoarse. It has been just a wonderful blessing to have such a sweet spirit in our home to bring smiles to our faces everyday. Rob has been such a wonderful support, husband and dad.
Penny went to the doctor's today for her 2 month check up and now weighs 11.5 lbs and is 23" long! She is in the 70% range for babies her age hahahaha! She is SO tall!

We LOVE you Penelope Gabrielle Torres!!!


"It's for fun..." said...

I LOVE all of your pictures and thanks for the details! Your new family picture on the blog is beautiful! Miss you guys and wish I could hold Penny!

eRiKa AnD rOb said...

I miss you too!!! You are too far away! I can't wait to see your beautiful boy.

Jessica said...

Congratulations! Your little girl is adorable!

Katie said...

Yay, pictures. She's so cute! Love her.

Laura said...

That was fun to read and view the pics thru the story. I know you told me all about it, but it was fun to relive it! She is such a BEAUTIFUL baby!! surprise where she got all her gorgeousness!

The Walker clan said...

She IS a princess!!! Your a good sport mom for sticken through really does get a little easier especially with your next one! :)

Kim and company said...

wow! She is beautiful! congratulations! What a fun new adventure you are starting! Best one so far!